As I said earlier this week, I LOVE the summer trend of tassels because they’re so easy to add a bit of DIY to your wardrobe. Today I’m going to share how to make tassels that you can add to almost anything: clothes, bags, pillows, blankets. I’m going to put today’s on a key chain to update a purse with a broken zipper.
These tassels work up very quickly. For my wedding I decided my escort cards would be handmade, individualized bookmarks, each with a handmade tassel in my wedding colors. 100 handmade tassels! It sounds like a lot, but once you know what you’re doing they can go so quickly.
- Size 3 cotton crochet thread- I used Aunt Lydia’s from Michael’s. You can also use yarn or embroidery floss or whatever you choose.
- An index card or card stock cut in the size you want.
- Yarn needle
- Keychain- mine had an attached lobster clasp, again from Michael’s
- Wrap the thread around the card about 50 times.
- Cut the thread
- Cut a length of thread about 2 feet long. This is the tail. Fold this in half so there’s a loop.
- Slide the loop of thread under the wrapped thread on the card.
- Pull the ends of the tail thread through the loop and pull tight.
- Pull the loops off the card.
- Thread the needle with both ends of the long thread.
- Put the needle through the top of the loops and pull it out the side. If desired, you can leave a loop here to attach the tassel using a slipknot. I didn’t leave a loop as I wanted to attach it to my key chain directly. You can do this now, or later. It doesn’t matter.
- Wrap the long tail around the loops a couple of times to make .
- Put the needle through behind the neck of the tassel and out through the middle.
- Using the 2 threads of the tail, make a knot and hide it in the center of the tassel behind the neck.
- Cut the bottom loops of the tassel and trim so the threads are all the same length.
- Attach it to your key chain if you haven’t already.
- Add it to your favorite accessory!
I had an old purse who’s zipper had broken, but I loved the size and color. I took off the broken zipper and put on my tassel key chain (with a few extra tassels).
Like I said: once you’re used to them, these go really quick! I made all 3 tassels on my key chain in under 15 minutes. Then I added a couple more to my work bag. too!
What’s your favorite summer trend?